Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veterans Day

I awoke this morning, disgruntled that I had to work on a holiday.

Annoyed that my husband was still cozy in bed and I was rushing to get ready instead of snuggling with him.

I left a card by his coffee mug, "My Sexy Soldier...Thank you for being My Hero..." and quickly kissed him goodbye.

At work I grabbed the newspaper and scanned the headlines for what I expected to be filled with grateful articles for our many military men and women....

There were announcements of parades, free dinners and discount sales.
Pictures of retired veterans and military families with patriotic attire and flags.

and then there was his photo. just a single small paragraph.

and a face too young to be remembered in such a way.

there was another photo. a woman beside a grave.

an article about a mother who recalled the memories of her boy's childhood

and the love he had for his country.

And it hit me like a slap across the face.
today wasn't just a day for them.
It isn't a day for discounts or free meals,
parade floats or waving flags.
or even for hero cards and thank you's.

I woke this morning to kiss my soldier and tell him I am proud of him.
They woke this morning to remember their last words
to picture their smile and confidence
to close their eyes and feel that last embrace.

Being an Army Wife, I take to heart the days set aside to honor my husband and the military.
I am touched when people say thank you when we are out and he is in uniform.
I cry at every commercial that shows a service member being sent off or welcomed home.
I feel it. all of it.

But this morning, when I saw his photo,
the young man whom I have never had the priviledge to meet...
I had to check my heart.
I realized once again how blessed I am to have my soldier in my arms.
Today became not just a day that I was to honor my own soldier...
to be proud of him and the man I fell in love with.

But to really take thought and honor all those who fight so bravely.
all those families who have sacrified for us.
all those who wake up this morning and know that Veterans Day isn't just another day.
But a day to honor the greatest sacrifice that can be given.
A day to remember the hero they love.

From the depths of my heart
thank you to those who are fighting today.
thank you to those who cannot wish their soldier
Happy Veterans Day but honor their memory and sacrifice alone.
thank you for the many sacrifices you have made.
thank you for being strong so that I didn't have to today.

You will never be forgotten.
You will never be taken for granted.
You will always be honored for your devotion and sacrifice.
You are heroes.




2 comments:

beka said...

Ahh, this made me nearly tear up.
I just chatted tonight with a friend who's in the Air Force...

Dear, this post...is amazing.

Kathryn said...

Wonderful post thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails